Friday, May 13, 2011

Internship - April

Wow, it's been almost a month since I started at Capilano. Time seems to be flying by since we've gotten into full swing. This spring has been a busy time at the course with aeration, projects and battling the weather. Thankfully I have three great mentors, Jamie Robb, Michael Newton, and our new second assistant Eric Gratopp, and excellent coworkers who have all been teaching me and instructing me.

This April has been one of the coldest and wettest in the history of Vancouver. That hasn't slowed us down at all though. Contractors have been a common site with our new maintenance building coming to completion. The course aeration took a week of hard work from a large staff. There are a lot of projects being completed every day, and its hard to keep up with at times. My responsibilities during this time have been varied but I have had many opportunities to learn and try new things. Some of these include:
- Fertilizer calibration
- Tank mixing
- Fairway Primo applications
- Stimping and monitoring soil temperatures
- Adjusting height of cut and bedknife to reel contact
- Walking mower operation

I've been taking lots of pictures as well. The course is beautiful, and I feel truly blessed to be working at such an amazing course.

The Capilano Clubhouse
A practice green/tee box seeded by the clubhouse
Trials of Fiesta I am trying, I will post an update about this when it is concluded
Hole number 1, Hathstauwk
The old lunchroom
The new lunchroom
Enjoying a round of golf at Cap
Hole 17, Sleeping Beauty
My morning duty includes setting up the mowers so they can get out as quick as possible

No comments:

Post a Comment